1.2
Additional Fees
Insurance Plans Acceptance

I became a COBRA recipient May 2017. My ex-employer uses Discovery Benefits as their COBRA administrator.

I elected to keep medical, prescription, dental and vision insurance. In the very beginning, Discovery Benefits lapsed all of my coverages for two months total, before COBRA payment was even due, and they took over a month to reinstate after payment was received. Another time I had to go without my meds for two weeks while I waited for them to straighten out my wrongfully terminated prescription coverage. Since the first of this year (2018) they've terminated my medical coverage twice and my prescription coverage twice.

(Today is January 26.) They've had payment for January since the middle of November. They received payment through April on January 17. I tried to fill prescriptions yesterday, pharmacy is getting "coverage terminated." Been on the phone with all of them, insurance people say it's Discovery Benefits, first call to DB they say insurance doesn't know what they are doing, insurance says the first urgent update was actually a two-week override, 2nd call to DB all they will say is they are sending over another urgent update, but they have two weeks to do anything. I've been waiting for a call back from them for two hours now.

(I've waited on hold longer than three in the past.) Avoid this company if at all possible. I'm not sure if it is a harassment technique in the hope you will drop your coverage, or total incompetence...

I've reported them to insurance.illinois.gov I hope it will do some good. Maybe your state has an insurance fraud investigator.

Review about: Health Insurance.

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered.

Comments

Rhonda, contact the feds Employee Benefits Security Administration, a sub division of the Department of Labor. They will contact the employer to let them know Discovery Benefits is placing them in violation of federal laws as their representative.

The employer is DB customer, not us low life insureds. You can sue them in small claims court, too, it dont cost much and no lawyer required.

to Anonymous #1432866

Thank you for this info. I actually called HR at my ex-employer and let corporate know this was happening.

Haven't had a problem since. Fingers crossed...